Akatombo Web Log
Thursday, April 27, 2006
TextMate Find in Project Extremely Slow
I was having some extremely aggravating problems with Find in Project in TextMate where the program would suck up to 750Mb of RAM and take over 20 minutes to return a search result. Allan, and a couple other people whose names escape me at the moment, helped me to debug the problems I was having. It seems that if your project file is very large or has large files in it, this type of problem is likely to occur. I am working on a fairly large project, but still it wasn’t of a size that seemed outrageous. We checked for a symbolic link loop in the folders, and no problem there.
Finally I asked if pdf files were treated as text files because I had a fair number of pdfs in the project. Everyone said that pdf files should be treated as binaries, but told me how to check. Right click (or control-click in the absence of a two button mouse) on a pdf file in the project drawer. If you see “Treat files with “.pdf# Extension as Text” as the bottom-most option in the contextual menu that pops up your problem is different than mine, maybe you have a bunch of log or cache files that are being searched?
My contextual menu said treat as Binary which means that somehow TextMate had gotten set up to treat PDFs as text and it was searching all of them. So now the problem is solved, searches only take a minute or two now. On the good news front, it appears that Allan is working on a threaded find operation (meaning you’ll be able to keep editting as the machine searches) and working on making it so that TextMate doesn’t have to keep every matched file open in memory.
UPDATE: It looks like the latest cutting-edge-release addresses the issue with peak memory for find in project.
[FIXED] Peak memory usage when doing Find in Project should no longer be that of having all files loaded into memory.
I haven’t tried it out or anything yet, but if it truly fixes that: Very nice! Thanks Allan.
- Posted by Shanti Braford
I have this problem too.
My mac mini (which I run TextMate on) isn’t very beefy at all.
Even for a moderately small Rails project, TextMate’s Find in Project takes minutes long.
Every other aspect of the software is 100% A-Grade quality stuff. I’m sure the issue’ll be addressed shortly.September 30th, 2006 06:56 PM
- Posted by Matt Baron
It’s probably your log files.December 12th, 2006 05:54 PM